- 4 large russet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons canola or vegetable oil
- 4 ounces softened cream cheese
- 1/4 cup softened butter
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/2 pound bacon, cooked until crisp then crumbled
- 1/3 cup chopped green onions or chives
- Preheat oven to 375F. Remove butter and cream cheese from refrigerator to allow to come to room temperature while potatoes bake.
- Prick each potato a few times each with a fork. Rub the outside of each potato with a small amount of oil. Place potatoes directly on oven rack and bake until soft when pressed, about an hour or so. Remove from oven and cool until you can comfortably hold them in your hands.
- Place cream cheese and butter into mixing bowl. Slice each potato in half lengthwise then gently scoop out the potato into the bowl, leaving a thin potato shell. Add sour cream, milk, salt and pepper to taste, mixing together until smooth and creamy.
- Scoop the mixture back into the potato shells. Top with cheese and bacon crumbles. Bake until cheese is melted and potatoes are heated through, about 15-20 minutes. Garnish with chopped green onions or chives and serve immediately.