- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- A handful of basil leaves roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp. tomato puree
- 2 x 400g tins of chopped tomatoes
- ½ litre vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp. corn flour mixed with 2 tbsp. cold water
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- One or 2 chopped basil leaves for garnish
- In a large saucepan heat the olive oil, then add the chopped onion and crushed garlic and sauté until softened. Stir every now and then, you don’t want the garlic to burn.
- Add the chopped basil leaves, tomato puree, tinned tomatoes and vegetable stock and stir everything together well.
- Bring the soup mixture to the boil, then turn down the heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Blitz the soup mixture with a food processor / a liquidiser or blender.
- Stir in the corn flour mixture and stirring every now and then allow the soup to simmer and thicken, roughly 5 minutes.
- Season to taste and then ladle the soup into serving bowls and garnish with the basil leaves.