- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 1/4 cup red-wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup whole-grain mustard
- 1/4 cup packed dark-brown sugar
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 side salmon, skin removed, cut into 8 fillets
- 1 bunch watercress, thick stems trimmed
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges, for serving
- Heat broiler, with rack in top position. In a small saucepan, heat oil over medium-high. Add shallot and cook, stirring often until softened, 3 minutes. Add vinegar and cook until slightly evaporated, 1 minute. Add mustard and brown sugar; stir until warm and combined, 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper and remove from heat.
- Place salmon fillets on a foil-lined rimmed baking sheet and season with salt and pepper. Transfer 1/2 cup glaze to a small dish and brush on top of salmon. Broil salmon until glaze is bubbling and fish is opaque throughout, 5 to 10 minutes, depending on thickness; brush remaining glaze over fillets. Serve salmon along with watercress and lemon wedges.