- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes
- 1/2 of a small fennel bulb
- 1 large sweet onion, such as Vidalia or Walla Walla
- 8 chicken thighs, bone in and skin on
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons smoked paprika, divided
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch mixed into 1/2 cup of water
MethodPreheat oven to 350 degrees.
Brush oil on a large heavy Dutch oven, such as cast iron. Slice potatoes, fennel and onion into half moon slices that are a little thicker than 1/4 inch. Toss slices with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Spread the slices in the Dutch oven.
Mix together the butter, shallot, garlic, lemon zest, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1 tablespoon of the paprika. Using your fingers, spread a scant 1 tablespoon of butter mixture under the skin of each chicken thigh. Place thighs on top of vegetables in Dutch oven, skin side up. Mix together the remaining 1 tablespoon of smoked paprika and the olive oil. Brush mixture on the skins of the chicken thighs.
Bake uncovered for 60 minutes.
Remove chicken and vegetables to a serving platter. Place Dutch oven on stove top and turn on medium high heat. Whisk in the cornstarch liquid and simmer until thickened. Add salt and pepper to taste. Drizzle sauce over the chicken and vegetables. Serve immediately.